1.GRATITUDE,COMPLEMENT & CONGRATULATION
2. SURPRISES & DISBELIEFS
3. MODALS IN THE PAST FORM
4. DIRECT & INDIRECT SPEECH
5. NOUN PHRASES
2. SURPRISES & DISBELIEFS
3. MODALS IN THE PAST FORM
4. DIRECT & INDIRECT SPEECH
5. NOUN PHRASES
6. NEWS ITEM
7. PASSIVE VOICE
8. NARRATIVE TEXT
8. NARRATIVE TEXT
9. DESCRIPTIVE TEXT
10. INTRODUCTORY IT
10. INTRODUCTORY IT
11. INVITATION (WRITTEN)
12. FINITE VERBS
13. ASKING FOR INFORMATION
14. SIMPLE FUTURE
15. OFFERING
13. ASKING FOR INFORMATION
14. SIMPLE FUTURE
15. OFFERING
16. ASKING IF SOMEONE REMEMBERS OR NOT
17. VOCABULARY AROUND THE HOUSE
18. PREPOSITION IN, ON, AND AT
17. VOCABULARY AROUND THE HOUSE
18. PREPOSITION IN, ON, AND AT
Gratitude, Compliment, and Congratulation
· Gratitude is expression that used to said thank you to other people.
· Kind of gratitude expression are :
Ø Thank you very much.
Ø Thank’s.
Ø I’m grateful to…….
Ø I want to thank.
Ø I want to express my gratitude to……..
Ø I keep forgetting to thank you for…….
· Responds of expressing :
Ø You are welcome.
Ø Don’t mention it.
Ø Not at all
Ø It was nothing at all.
Ø No problem
Ø Glad to be of help.
Ø (it was) my pleasure.
Ø I’m glad I could help.
Ø I’m glad I could do it.
Ø I’m glad I could be of help.
· Compliment is expression that used to give praising to other people. Some people use compliment to better up someday or to flatter in order to increase good will.
Expressing :
- What a nice dress.
- You look great.
- You look very nice.
- I really must express my admiration for you………
- Good grades.
- Excellent.
- Nice work.
Time to express compliment :
- On his/her general appearance.
- If you notice something new about the person’s appearance.
- When you visit someone’s house for the first time.
- When other people do their best.
· Congratulation is expression that used to said congratulate to someone when get a success.
Expressing :
- Let me congratulate you.
- Congratulations on you successful business.
- My congratulations on your success.
- Congratulations on your promotion.
- Good!
- That’s great!
- Isn’t that wonderful!
- How fortunate.
- Splendid!
- Pretty good!
Surprises and Disbeliefs
Surprises and Disbeliefs is expression that used to express something that we can’t believe or impossible.
Kind of Surprises and Disbeliefs expression are :
- What a surprises?
- That’s very surprising!
- Really?
- Oh, no…………..
- Are you serious?
- What?
- That’s unbeliefable!
- Fancy that!
- You’re kidding!
- I find that hard to believe.
Surprising amazement of something :
ü Fantastic!
ü How marvellous/beautiful!
ü It’s very interesting!
ü It’s great!
ü It’s terrific!
ü Wow, that’s amazing!
ü Wonderful!
ü What a nice……
ü What a lovely flower!
ü Hey, that’s really terrific!
Example :
Hyo Joo : " Look ! I got "
Seung Ki : " That`s very surprising "
Hyo Joo : " I don`t know why "
Seung Ki : " Perhaps you did the wrong number "
When get a surprising fact, you can say those to tell other people :
* Do you know what ?
* Believe it or not ?
* You may not believe it, but ...
* Can you believe it ?
Responds :
* Really ?
* Are you joking ?
* Where ? show me
There are some ways to express surprise :
* Never !
* Oh, no!
* You`re kidding
* What a surprise
* Good heavens
* My goodness
Hyo Joo : " Look ! I got "
Seung Ki : " That`s very surprising "
Hyo Joo : " I don`t know why "
Seung Ki : " Perhaps you did the wrong number "
When get a surprising fact, you can say those to tell other people :
* Do you know what ?
* Believe it or not ?
* You may not believe it, but ...
* Can you believe it ?
Responds :
* Really ?
* Are you joking ?
* Where ? show me
There are some ways to express surprise :
* Never !
* Oh, no!
* You`re kidding
* What a surprise
* Good heavens
* My goodness
Modals In The Past Form
Modals in the past are :
· Could.
· Might.
· Would.
· Should.
The formula of Modals in the past form :
1. COULD + VERB BASE.
To offer Suggestion or Possibilities.
Example :
Wenda : “I’m having trouble with math.”
Weny : “Why you don’t ask Made ? Perhaps she could help you.”
To indicate that ability existed in the past but doesn’t exist now.
Example :
Dayanna : “Doni, can you climb the mango tree?”
Doni : “Well, I could climb the mango tree when I was so young, but I think I’m too heavy to climb it.”
2. WOULD + VERB BASE.
· For an action that was repeated regulary in the past.
Example :
Eva : “What did you do on holidays?”
Rieke : “I would visit my grandparents and my other family in the village, but how not anymore.”
· Insert rather into the pattern and use this expression to express preferences.
Example :
Woo Hwan : “What would you rather do in weekend, go to the party or stay at home?”
Eun Sung : “I would rather stay at home than go to the party.”
· To express polite request.
Example :
Andre : “Would you mind posting the letter?”
Angel : “No, not at all.”
3. SHOULD + VERB BASE.
· To give definite advice.
Example :
Mother : “Chica, you should study tonight. You will have math test tomorrow, won’t you?”
Chica : “I will, Mom.
4. MIGHT + VERB BASE.
· To tell possibilities
Example :
Tauvan : “Why is Jovan taking the bus to get home?”
Nova : “He might get a flat time.”
· To express polite request.
Example :
Hera : “Might I borrow your book?”
Nelly : “Yes, of course.”
Direct and Indirect Speech
Direct speech : refers to reproducing another persons extract word. We use quotation marks (" ")
Example of Direct Speech :
1. Bea said, “I’m very busy .”
2. They said, “We have bought a picture.”
3. He said, “I am learning my lesson.”
4. Aning says, “I got the first prize.”
5. You said, “I will come to help him.”
6. Ryan will say, “I will do my best.”
Indirect speech : refers to reproducing the idea of another persons
word.
word.
There are 3 kinds of indirect speech :
1. Imperrative (command/request)
2. interrogative (question)
3. Declarative (statement)
Example :
1. Imperrative (command / request)
Direct : Mrs. Agnes said to Christa, "Don't worry about it."
Indirect : Mrs. Agnes told Christa not to worry about it.
2. Interrogative (question)
Direct : Febri asked to Leti, "Are you a journalist?"
Indirect : Febri asked if / whether she was journalist.
3. Declarative (statement)
Direct : Mr. Vino said, "I worked hard yesterday."
Indirect : Mr. Vino said that he worked hard the day before.
· In comand sentences, direct speech can changed to indirect speech with change "Said" to be "Ordered", "Told", and "Forbade".
Example :
1. Direct : Choky said, "Open the door!"
Indirect : Choky ordered to open the door.
2. Direct : Tian said, "Pradita, come here!"
Indirect : Tian told Pradita to come there.
3. Direct : Haris said to Ryan, "Do not disturb me!"
Indirect : Haris forbade Ryan to disturb him.
Example :
1. Direct : Choky said, "Open the door!"
Indirect : Choky ordered to open the door.
2. Direct : Tian said, "Pradita, come here!"
Indirect : Tian told Pradita to come there.
3. Direct : Haris said to Ryan, "Do not disturb me!"
Indirect : Haris forbade Ryan to disturb him.
Time change
Expressions of time if reported on a different day | ||
This (evening) | › | That (evening) |
Today | › | Yesterday |
These (days) | › | Those (days) |
Now | › | Then |
(a week) ago | › | (a week) before |
Last weekend | › | The weekend before last / the previous weekend |
Here | › | There |
Next (week) | › | The following (week) |
Tomorrow | › | The next/following day |
Tense change
Direct speech | Indirect speech | |
| Present simple She said, "It's cold." | › | Past simple She said it was cold. |
Present continuous She said, "I'm teaching English online." | › | Past continuous She said she was teaching English online. |
Present perfect simple She said, "I've been on the web since 1999." | › | Past perfect simple She said she had been on the web since 1999. |
Present perfect continuous She said, "I've been teaching English for seven years." | › | Past perfect continuous She said she had been teaching English for seven years. |
Past simple She said, "I taught online yesterday." | › | Past perfect She said she had taught online yesterday. |
Past continuous She said, "I was teaching earlier." | › | Past perfect continuous She said she had been teaching earlier. |
Past perfect She said, "The lesson had already started when he arrived." | › | Past perfect She said the lesson had already started when he arrived. |
Past perfect continuous She said, "I'd already been teaching for five minutes." | › | Past perfect continuous She said she'd already been teaching for five minutes. |
Noun Phrases
Noun is word to point/signed at the thing. For example : the tall, my brother, loneliness, etc. Phrase is a group of words. So, Noun phrases is a group of word that to point/signed at the thing.
Noun phrase consist of a pronoun or noun with only associated noun phrases can act as a subject, object, complement object of preposition, and object of verb.
The function of Noun phrase :
- Subject
Example :
The children play on the forest.
- Object
Example :
My mother buys a basket of vegetables.
- Complement
Example :
Bogor is a rainy location.
The basic structure of Noun phrase :
Phrase consist minimally of a head this means, in one word phrase like “boy”, the head is “boy” in langer phrase a string of elements my appear before the head.
Example : The naughty boy.
News Item
News item text is a factual text which inform reader or daily newspaper about events of the day which are regarder as newsworth or important.
The generic structure of News item :
·
Newsworthy events :
Recounts the event in summary form.
·
Background events :
Elaborate what happened, to whom, in what circumstances.
·
Sources :
Comments by participants in, witness to and authorities expert on the event.
Linguistic features :
- Action verbs.
- Verbal verbs.
- Mental verbs.
- Temporal circumstances.
- Spatial circumstances.
- Specific participants.
Example of News item :
Shark Savages Creek Swimmer
By John Orr and AAP
A Gold Coast man was recovering in hospital last night after a shark bit him in his buttocks and right leg when he went for a moonlit swim in a canal.
Mr. Craig Coleman, 26 needed about 200 stitches and is awaiting plastic surgery.
He went for a swim in little Tallebudgera Creek and adjoining canals to “cool off” late on Saturday night.
He “dog-paddled” halfway accros the stream and while having a breather, a shark, estimated, to be 1.8m long, “took a liking to him”.
“I never got a look at him-who would have thought there would be sharks in the river,” Mr. Coleman said yesterday.
He was the second person to be attacked by a shark in the Mermaid Waters canal in the past 12 months.
A 10 years-old boy was attacked late last year only metres from where Mr. Coleman was bitten.
Mr. Coleman said he was unaware of previous shark attacks in Gold Coast waterways as he had recently moved there from Sydney.
Passive Voice
Passive voice is a grammatical voice in which the subject receives the action of a transitive verb, and passive refers more generally to verbs using this construction and the passages in which they are used. The Generic Structure/Formula :
Passive Voice in Tenses : 1. Simple Present Tense Active : V1(es/s) Passive : To be(is, am, are) + V3 2. Past tense Active : V2(ed) Passive : To be(was, were) + V3 3. Past Continuous Tense Active : To be(is, am, are) + V ing To be(was, were) + Ving Passive : To be(is, am, are) + Being V3 To be(was, were) + Being V3 4. Present Perfect Continuou s Tense Active : been + V ing Passive : been + being V3 5. Future Tense Active : Be + V ing Passive : Be + being V3 Examples of Passive Voice
Examples of Passive Voice
| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Narrative Text
Definition : A piece of writing that tells a story. The story can be imaginary or based on a real events.
Function : To entertain, to gain and hold a reader’s interest. However narratives can also be written to teach or inform, to change attitudes / social opinion.
Generic Structure :
· TITLE
· Orientation : This part presents the setting of the story and introduces the characters incolved.
· Complication : A crisis arises.
· Resolution : The problems starts to get resolved.
· Moral Value : The message of the story.
1
Kinds of Narrative Text:
· Short Stories;
· Folklores;
· Legends;
· Fables;
· Myths; etc.
Features:
· Characters with defined personalities / identities.
· Dialogue often include tense may change to the present or the future.
· Descriptive language to create images in the reader’s mind and enhance the story.
Temporal Conjuction In Narrative Text:
· Once upon a time;
· After;
· Before;
· A long time ago; etc.
.jpg)
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar